Thursday 7 April 2011

Caning the new Moto Guzzi Stelvio and Norge



Just got back from the launch of the new Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX 1200 and Norge 1200 in Tuscany, both kitted out with the newly revised 8 valve motors. I tried the 8 valve motor a couple of years ago on the Griso SE and thought it was a fantastic engine then - it's now even better. The Stelvio is an exceptional bike, and we were riding on roads north of Florence that in fact I quite well from my days of living out there - Passo della Consuma, Pontassieve and so on - lots of tight, tight bends that open out into long downhill stretches, then up again, great motorcycling roads. The Stelvio's handling is impeccable and I could really chuck it into corners with confidence and ease - I want one! The Norge is also a fine bike, but far softer as it's a tourer, but for a big bike with carrying capacity, still rides like a 250. I challenge anyone who thinks Guzzis are crap to try the Stelvio - I've ridden the BMW GS1200 and the Guzzi is a better bike.
Full review coming up in Issue Four....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your impression of the Stelvio. The new motor is terrific. It is a rock solid bike without being a pachyderm like the GS. The Earth Sienna with cast wheels is the first beautiful adventure bike.