Wednesday 11 July 2012

Fork off











I managed to get a little time a few weeks ago to work on the mag's project MV 175 AB. The motor's already out and stripped into a thousand pieces, more on that in Issue Five coming soon (I promise!), so I'm concentrating on the cycle parts and frame.

I managed to strip the front end reasonably quickly and without needing any special tools. The forks were completely full of water - I've never seen so much water come out of a pair of forks before. My MV guru Dorian says that these AB forks are well known for it, but even so, looks like the Italian who owned this bike used to ride through rivers on it judging by the water and mud and crap covering it. All the seals are completely shot, as expected, and just as I was wondering where I might find a seal kit for a '57 MV 175 AB from, Dorian came up trumps again, as well as donating the little chrome cover for the Super Practic B throttle body too. Thanks my friend!

Remember, I'm not restoring this bike. Cosmetically it will stay as it is. I cleaned up the throttle body and that's it, original 'emmevi' grip and all. I've cleaned up the forks that though a bit corroded will be fine once rebuilt with the new seals. Just got to find the time again...

4 comments:

ITALIAN MOTOR magazine said...

The Super Pratic was used on many Italian bikes, and it works well because it's so simple, just got to keep the little chain well lubricated..

Unknown said...

Please can we have more of this ? I will be searching for a basket case 175 in the new year, [ will take years I know] and cant believe I have found a blog on one. Just ordered the mag by the way and will subscribe if I like it. Regards Stuart.[n/Ireland]

Unknown said...

Please more on this, I cant believe I have found a blog on my dream bike. MY SEARCH FOR A BASKET CASE STARTS IN THE NEW YEAR, JUST BOUGHT THE MAG AND MAY SUBSCRIBE IF I LIKE IT. Regards Stuart [N/IRELAND.

ITALIAN MOTOR magazine said...

Hi Stuart - to be honest, the project has stalled somewhat due to lack of cash - because the carnk needs sorting out. But hoping to start it up again soon!